Instagram Stories are a perfect way to tell your customers more
Instagram is currently used by over 200 million people each month, with 60 million photos uploaded every day with 1.6 billion likes. It’s a growing social media platform, which some people love, whilst others “don’t get”.
As a business, it’s an area you should certainly be considering using. Even if it’s just noticing what’s going on and seeing if your ideal customers are using instagram at all. More women are using it, and if you’re target market is women 26 – early 50s, then you should definitely check out instagram, as that’s where your customers are spending some of their time.
You may not even know what instragram stories are?
A new feature that lets you share all the moments of your day, not just the ones you want to keep on your profile. As you share multiple photos and videos, they appear together in a slideshow format: your story.
With Instagram Stories, you don’t have to worry about overposting. Instead, you can share as much as you want throughout the day — with as much creativity as you want. You can bring your story to life in new ways with text and drawing tools. The photos and videos will disappear after 24 hours and won’t appear on your profile grid or in feed.
Introducing Instagram Stories, August 2016
Instagram stories appear at the top of your screen when you’re looking at your instragram feed.
They can be video or a series of still photos or images. They don’t add to your normal instagram feed, and they disappear 24 hours after you’ve posted it.
Viewers can send you direct messages from your story, but there’s no public comments, making engagement directly with you, so you qualify the person’s interest in you by their response to your story.
I had the pleasure of learning more about instagram stories from Claire Jones-Hughes of Clarita Digital in an #inconversationwith interview, which you can view in full here
She explained that instagram stories are like a news feed, and shares current ideas, events and thinking.
Tips for using Instagram Stories for your business
- Less is more – as long as it’s quality. Once a month could be enough
- Consistency is crucial. Don’t set yourself up to fail. Start with committing to one post a month, then increase from there
- Ensure your profile is up to date, and branded for your business & the links work
- Have 9 photos uploaded to complete the grid people see straight away – at least 6 for starters if 9 feels too much
- Spend time engaging with others on instagram – relevant comments and conversation
- Create 15 second videos (from instagram app) of your event, your product, customer feedback
- Use hashtags in your stories to help people find you
- Don’t share across to facebook that have lots of hashtags (facebook doesn’t like it)
- Ask your customers what they want to know about you and your business, and use that for your instagram stories
Next steps for using Instagram Stories
What I learnt from Claire, was to give it a go. Try it. Have a play. See what works for you, and what you enjoy.
That’s great for me, and my style, that’s how I learn best.
I know that’s not for everyone. Claire is available to help you and has a free webinar coming up soon.
We’ll be carrying on the instagram story conversation in the Business Cheerleading Club group, to support each other to start, learn, develop and improve. There’s plenty of space for you to join us there too, for all sorts of business support, not just about instagram or social media. Claire has also agreed to do a workshop for club members on instagram in May, (open to guests at a charge of £29).
Let’s connect on instagram – We’re at tracey_jane_hughes – what’s your account?
Have you used instagram stories? What’s your story with them for you and your business?