Advent – Day 7: One2One Listening
I’m delighted to share today’s advent calendar listing. It’s a bit different today, as I’ve been involved with the One2One Listening service for about 2 years, in many capacities.
I project managed the initial stages of launching the service, including creating the volunteer handbook, structures, and processes. I’m a volunteer trainer, working with other volunteer tutors to train people to listen better, and those that want to, to train in Professional Listening skills (3 modules of training), to become volunteer Listeners in the Preston based service.
Listening, and the power of listening, has changed my life, and I know it changes others too.
We’re here to listen…
…and help those who need a safe space to be heard, to reach their own decisions and find their own solutions.
Why is listening so important?
- We live in a noisy, busy, world where many of us are crying out, “help. No-one is listening to me”
- We long for space to breathe, talk and be heard
- When we are listened to we feel respected, valued, significant, empowered, helped and affirmed
What is One2One Listening?
- It’s a space to share anything that is on your mind.
- It’s a space for you to talk in private to a trained listener who will not interupt, advise, or judge you
- It’s a space where you will be encouraged to find your own way forward
Who is One2One Listening for?
- Anyone over 18 who wants to talk about life issues such as bereavement, loneliness, anxiety, financial concerns, relationship and family problems, unemployment, health concerns
A listening space is a private confidential time between you and a volunteer listening in a comfortable safe room for both of you. You’ll have up to 50 minutes with the volunteer listener to talk about anything you want, and they will simply listen to you and let you say whatever you want. The process of saying your thoughts out loud will help you put your thoughts in a little bit of order, and help you decide if there’s anything you want to do after you’ve been listened to.
I’ve been amazed how “just” listening has helped people move forward with whatever has been on their mind. Even the short practices in training sessions have helped individuals with concerns they’d had on their mind to feel better, and move forward.
Listening is a big part of what we do at Manage Those Things – listening to clients, and helping them to listen to themselves. It’s from being involved with this project that we’ve learnt to listen to ourselves better, and follow our dreams.
To learn more about the One2One Listening service, or book an appointment in Preston, please contact them directly:
Book an appointment online or by phone 07542 076603
Facebook page: One2One Listening